“You are what you eat” is a saying that definitely applies to colon cancer. Some of the risk factors for colon cancer are linked to what you eat. One of the most significant factors includes eating a low-fiber, high-fat diet, so eating a diet that is high in fruits and vegetables is one of the best ways to protect your colon (Source: Latinos Health).
Here are some foods that are gut-healthy for your colon and delectable to the taste buds:
- Apples or apple cider vinegar. Apples are rich in fiber and promote healthy digestion. Apples also contain pectin which assists in removing toxins and building a stronger intestinal lining.
- Avocados. This fruit has both soluble and insoluble fibers at a ratio of one to three. Soluble fibers promote bowel regularity and prevent toxin build-up. Insoluble fiber prevents colon cancer by adding bulk and cleaning out the colon.
- Broccoli. Almost everyone likes broccoli. This cruciferous vegetable contains antioxidants which protect cells from cancer. Soluble fiber in broccoli promote healthy bacteria in the intestines.
- Spinach. This dark leafy green is one of the best sources of vitamin A and provides roughage to keep the colon clear and help digestion run smoothly.
- Lemon. All citrus fruits are known to be good colon cleansers, but lemons are especially good at detoxification. They act as an antiseptic to reduce waste matter build up and hinder the growth of harmful microorganisms.
- Garlic. This spice has worldwide appeal and is used in cuisines in almost all cultures. Garlic is known to protect against viruses, parasites and bacteria and helps flush pathogens from the colon
- Water. It is impossible to have a healthy colon without water. Fiber absorbs water, and constipation can result if fiber is consumed without adequate H2O. Drinking plenty of water will help move the bulk that fiber has created in the intestine to clean the colon and remove toxins and waste.
Maybe it’s time to make some modifications to your diet. Try adding some of these colon-friendly foods to your grocery list, and spend some time with a cookbook or your favorite recipe website. Good health and a clean colon are within your reach!